Arvest ATMs Read Chip-enabled Cards

Tuesday, October 25 at 09:30 AM

All Arvest Bank ATMs now read chip-enabled debit cards. The ATMs’ physical appearance has not changed, but the process to conduct transactions has changed slightly.

Now your debit card will remain in the ATM during your transaction. The ATM will eject your debit card before cash is dispensed or after the completion of a balance inquiry, transfer or deposit. If you want to conduct another transaction, you will need to reinsert your debit card.

For your protection, if you forget your debit card in the ATM, then the ATM will capture the card, and it will be destroyed by the bank, rather than be left in the dip reader. If you have left your debit card at an Arvest ATM, please contact your local branch or call customer service at (866) 952-9523 to order a new card.

If you have questions about chip-enabled debit cards, check out our frequently asked questions. If you need ATM assistance, please call (866) 952-9523.

Blog updated by Blog Admin on 10/25/16 to reflect ATM changes are now here.

Tags: ATM, Technology
Debra Synco on 10/10/2016 at 4:28 PM
I don't like this at all I am so busy I get forgetful is it possible to get a card without the chip or would that make any difference in how the ATM works? I rarely use it anyway because years ago someone did get a hold of my card and used it without permission and nothing was done about it even though I was all for pressing charges. I could not even get a copy of the picture that the ATM would have captured to take to the police. Anyway would not having the chip make any difference and is it possible to get one without? Some of the stores here in Stuttgart including my doctors office have readers that will not accept the chipped cards which can make things difficult at times.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/10/2016 at 7:32 PM
Debra - We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with the chip-enabled cards and the ATM change. We'll have a member of local management follow up about your concerns. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
Lynda on 10/11/2016 at 4:22 AM
There is a real personal security concern with this new procedure. The longer a person is at an ATM the more likely they can become a target. Requiring someone to insert their card for each transaction makes an ATM unsafe if you want to do more than one. As someone who usually makes at least 2 transactions when I am at the ATM, I will have to reconsider this. These chip cards were supposed to be better, but instead they have slowed everything down and made it more difficult for everyone to use their cards.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/12/2016 at 9:36 PM
Lynda – Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We take our customers’ security very seriously. We would like the opportunity to have our security specialists look into this further. Please keep an eye out for a direct communication from us in the near future.
Pam on 10/26/2016 at 3:30 AM
I went to the ATM and was confused about the buttons to push because the buttons didn't seem to line up with what option I was needing. It took me awhile to figure it out but what messed me up there is buttons on both sides. Somehow I canceled my first transaction but do not know how I did it, I know this may not make any sense but the second try it went through. I am concern about the security of these chips as well.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/26/2016 at 3:49 PM
Pam - We're sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced at the ATM. We'll have a member of local management follow up with you about your experience. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
Charlotte on 10/27/2016 at 5:38 PM
I'd like to speak to the two concerns I see expressed today. Security at the ATM: Please be aware of who is around you at all times. If you are in line, leave a car length between you and the person at the ATM. This shouldn't scare them or make them uncomfortable. I've rolled up to the ATM and had another customer right on my tailpipe. It takes me longer to conduct business because I'm constantly checking them out. And oh yeah, I keep my car doors locked. If someone walks up to my car, I roll up my driver side window, pick up my cell phone so I can call 911, and just keep my eyes on my steering wheel, shaking my head "No" throughout the time the person might stand there. If they don't leave, then I leave, drive up to the bank's window/door, and seek help. Night-time, then drive a short distance and call 911. ATM Process: Couldn't help but chuckle a little at the comments. Too much time? Too difficult? I'm sure these complaints come from people who can text on their phones like a mad man and can use Facebook like a tech super star! But they've become entrenched in the previous procedures so much that they can't take the time to watch what they are doing when it comes to an ATM transaction or two? Just slow down a minute or two, reach the screen, and punch the buttons. I'm in my late 60's and I manage this low-tech device pretty well. All your customers above had valid concerns, but their answers were within themselves. Thank you, and everyone have a good day.