**RESOLVED** Some Debit Cards Declining

Monday, July 18 at 04:00 PM

UPDATE: The debit card decline issues a limited number of customers recently experienced have been resolved as of Tuesday, July 19 at 9 a.m. If your debit card continues to be declined after Tuesday, July 19 at 9 a.m., then please contact Customer Service at (866) 952-9523. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Some, but not all, Arvest consumer and business debit cards are declining at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced because of these declining debit cards.

We’re working as quickly as possible to address the issue. Right now we anticipate the impacted debit cards will be restored to full functionality on Tuesday, July 19. We’ll post on social media and this blog as updates become available.

While our teams work to restore the impacted cards, we do have a couple of solutions:
  • Arvest business and consumer debit cards continue to work at Arvest ATMs. You can visit any of our more than 350 ATMs to get the cash you need until your impacted debit card is restored to full functionality.
  • You can visit any of our more than 270 branches – many open late.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Tags: Debit Cards
Gabs on 7/18/2016 at 9:59 PM
Will this affect the transactions made before today, but still pending?
Kathy Etherton on 7/19/2016 at 12:06 AM
You couldn't have posted something earlier in the day? Or sent an email to those of us who have been affected by this issue? Why do you require that we give you our email addresses if you DON'T USE THEM when there's a problem. I found out when I tried to pay for my lunch today. You posted a notice at 4pm? Thanks for nothing.
Donna Rangel on 7/19/2016 at 10:47 AM
I'm sure our Sapulpa Arvest branch has had a rough week. First being closed for multiple days because of the storm outages and now the bad press for the debit card problems. Just want to send a note of appreciation for y'all. While I understand this can be a great inconvenience, I also believe you are doing the best you can to fix it. I always refer my friends to Arvest. My whole family already banks there. Thank you, and just saying I believe in you!
Arvest Blog Admin on 7/19/2016 at 1:01 PM

Gabs - We don't believe the debit cards declining issue will impact pending transactions which were made before July 18.

Howard Johnson on 7/19/2016 at 2:10 PM
This was a royal PITA! You should have notified customers yesterday about the problems.
Debi Gibson on 7/19/2016 at 3:46 PM
You ask for my email but don't use it. I find out my card won't work when I am at a cashier. All I got was "Your card is declined" I don't know why and am totally at a loss for why. You need to notify your customers
Chad on 7/19/2016 at 3:48 PM
I'm really disappointed in the way Arvest handled this outage. Cards, and not just a few as the article is trying to insinuate, began declining very early on Monday morning. Arvest made no statements here or on any social media outlets until 4pm. That's one hour short of an entire business day before they even informed us, the customers, that there was an issue. We, as customers, were not supported by our bank and left to find out our debit cards were nonfunctional on our own. Such an outage is an inconvenience for some, but can be very serious and life threatening for others. We live in an ever-increasingly cash-free society. Not having access to one's finances can leave them stranded or worse. I've had a few small issues with Arvest Bank in the past, but nothing too serious. I fully understand that technical issues happen, and I'm not at all upset about the technical failure; however, the compete failure to contact customers or even AT THE VERY LEAST post a timely warning or notice ANYWHERE online is a MAJOR offense. I feel completely betrayed and unsupported by my bank, and to that end, I will be changing banks. It's a trust issue now.
Paula Walker on 7/19/2016 at 4:52 PM
This cannot happen again. I spent the entire day unable to make an emergency purchase, no notification, nothing.
Jayne Robertson on 7/19/2016 at 6:41 PM
Interesting update - I called my branch this morning after the update above had been posted and was told it would likely be this evening before the problem was fixed. My card was declined yesterday buying groceries and my son had to leave his lunch in a sack at the counter at a fast food restaurant because he had no cash and his card declined. This, on top of the rollout of the new "better" online banking site - which is clearly NOT better - is the straw that will break my banking relationship with Arvest.
Tory Harper on 7/19/2016 at 9:35 PM
I tried using my card 3 times yesterday, at breakfast (denied) at lunch (denied) THANKS McDonalds employee who gave me my food for free, after I told him I had money in my account and he was the one who declined me at breakfast, he felt it was their card reader with the problem. I am furious that the customer service when calling an Arvest location leaves you on hold for 5-10 minutes before you can even speak with someone and you would think with this kind of issue it would be noted on the hold music you have to listen too. I had a dr's apt later and needed my card so I stropped into a branch to see what the problem was and waited again to hear that everyone was having a problem and they hope to have it fixed soon. Very frustrating....have we gotten so technically savvy that we can't talk to the customer anymore without having to wait on a 10 minute or longer hold. Is our business no longer valued :-(
Kathy Etherton on 7/20/2016 at 12:03 AM
More than 24 hours since the outage issue occurred and STILL not one single email message or text from my bank to explain, apologize or try to make amends. I have had the same checking account since 1981. That ends now and I'm cutting up my Arvest credit card. Technology issues will happen - but Arvest's slow/weak social media response and failure to communicate directly reveals how much it values its customers. Not at all.
SusanShaffer on 7/20/2016 at 7:03 AM
I tried to make a purchase and it was declined i felt very very embarassed people looking at me literaly devastated cause i had alot of money to get it now scared to use it at all not sure if its a black mark on my credit scorenow i need a new pin number it locked my card
Mark Torrance on 7/20/2016 at 11:44 AM
I started having this issue last week while traveling. Luckily had a PayPal card that was connected to my account. I'm very disappointed in the handling of this. A different time I was traveling and put my card in a pump, had to cancel the transaction and go to a different pump. Within seconds, seriously less then a minute, Arvest called me to see if it was fraud. I guess they are more responsive on fraud since THEY would have to pay the fraudulent charges. In addition, I was recently charged $5 per transaction when moving money out of my savings account from my phone. They finally notified me via a letter after I racked up $65 of these fees. I'm very close to changing banks even though I have been with Arvest my entire life. Very Disappointing!!! FYI - If you use your phone to move money out of a savings account more then five times in a month they start charging you $5 per transfer. You can move it using any other method. Ridiculous.
Crystal Wittenborn on 7/20/2016 at 7:05 PM
Please tell me there's not going to be a fee everytime declined. I got charged 5 $17 fees just because it showed i had money in the bank, but companys tried to process payments days later after i knew i already didnt have money in the bank. I basically gave you all $90 to say i didnt have money in the bank... geez. ARVEST knows how to make fast money.
Adam on 7/21/2016 at 4:25 AM
My Arvest card was just declined and I can't find any reason why. Plentyx100 of available funds for the transaction. This just occurred at 11pm CST Wed, July 20th.
Arvest Blog Admin on 7/21/2016 at 5:58 PM
If you continue to experience debit card declines or have specific questions about your account, please contact Customer Service at (866) 952-9523.
Brian on 8/12/2016 at 2:07 AM
It does not matter if I contact the Customer Service. It is automated and completely useless. My card was just declined trying to get food, and since it's after hours, I have no way of resolving it, or accessing any of my funds. Your automated system does not do anything for this situation. I even tried to withdraw money from my account at an Arvest ATM and my card was declined. I cannot believe that Arvest does not have 24 hour HUMAN support for issues like these. I will be switching banks as soon as this issue is resolved. 3rd time this month my card has been declined for absolutely no other reason than a fault in your system.
Arvest Blog Admin on 8/12/2016 at 2:07 PM
Brian - We're sorry to hear about your situation and to hear you're upset. Your information has been sent to Customer Service who will reach out to you.
Christy on 10/4/2016 at 10:02 PM
I received a new chip card on 04AUG2016 and have not been able to use at any stores. Finally after about 6 calls they issued me a new card on them, How nice considering ITS MY MONEY!!!!!. The new card arrived 2 weeks ago and I have already made 8 calls to Arvest who blames the merchants systems, me not entering my pin correctly. I have a lot of money in my business account and there is nothing worse than being in line at Reasors, Walmart, Walgreens, ATT, CVS, Target, Marshalls, Avis Car rental and the card doesn't work. Then having to put the purchase up! I have gotten NO assistance with this. Arvest you need to step up and admit possibly that it could be a chip issues or your programming issues!!!!
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/5/2016 at 3:24 PM
Christy - We're sorry to hear about the difficulty you've had using the chip-enabled debit card. We understand you're upset. We'll pass your information along to local management to investigate.
Kendra Rochell on 1/12/2018 at 8:29 AM
It sucks sitting in the cold when you have money available but your card declines...it has to be something you can do to resolve these card issues...it is very inconvenient
Arvest Blog Admin on 1/16/2018 at 5:22 PM
Kendra, we're sorry you had trouble using our ATMs. We'll share your concerns with the appropriate team to make sure our ATMs are working correctly.
Rhonda on 5/1/2018 at 3:47 PM
Problems with various businesses. Card error.
Arvest Blog Admin on 5/10/2018 at 9:07 PM
Rhonda, we're sorry you've experienced problems with cards. Can you send us your contact information to interact@arvest.com so we can learn more about what you experienced?
Anthony Scott on 5/13/2018 at 2:59 PM
I believe your Arvest cards are declining. Of ALL DAYS!!!! On a Sunday also where I cant speak or go to a bank. This is unacceptable, if your system goes down there should be something sent out through email or text message. Do you honestly know how frustrating it is? I cant even pull money from an ATM.
Arvest Blog Admin on 5/14/2018 at 5:23 PM
Hi Anthony, we want to apologize for this inconvenience. All services related to yesterday’s outage, including ATMs and the account information line, have been restored and are working normally. We would like to talk further, could you please email interact@arvest.com with your phone number or call us at (866) 952-9523 so we can have local management follow up.