For 35 years, Harvesters — The Community Food Network has served the Kansas City region. This year the organization is again partnering with Arvest Bank for the 1 Million Meals initiative. Last year, Arvest Bank raised more $16,700 in monetary donations and nearly 4,000 non-perishable food items for Harvesters.
In 1979, Harvesters* was started by a group in the Kansas City area representing faith-based organizations, social services and the food industry. Operations began out of a space donated by Kansas City Cold Storage. In the first eight months of operations, Harvesters distributed 155,000 pounds of food to the hungry in the Kansas City area covering five counties.
Now, Harvesters operates two facilities (Kansas City and Topeka) and serves a network of more than 620 nonprofit agencies in 26 counties of Northwest Missouri and Northeast Kansas. In 2013, Harvesters distributed more than 44 million pounds of food to those in need. More than 6,000 volunteers support Harvesters every month, giving more than 188,000 hours of their time.
Additionally, the organization provides food and related household products to more than 620 nonprofit agencies including emergency food pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, children’s homes and others. Agencies in Harvesters’ network provide food assistance to as many as 66,000 different people each week.
Harvesters is a certified member of Feeding America, a nationwide network of more than 200 food banks serving all 50 states. Harvesters was Feeding America’s 2011 Food Bank of the Year. For more information about how you can help, please contact Harvesters’ Food Drive Manager, Katie Bromley, at email@example.com or (877) 653-9517.
To learn more about 1 Million Meals, visit arvest.com/millionmeals.
You can make a donation through any of the following methods:
- Donate via Phone – Customers can make a $1 (or more) donation by calling (866) 952-9523.
- Donate via Mail – Mail a check to Arvest Bank Operations, ATTN: 1MM, PO Box 799, Lowell, AR 72745. Include 1 Million Meals in the memo line of the check.
- Purchase a Paper Can – Purchase a 1 Million Meals paper can for $1 at any Arvest Bank branch. Each paper can purchased funds five meals. Donations of larger amounts also accepted.
- Drop Off Food Items – All Arvest Bank branch locations will be accepting nonperishable food items. Donated items will be delivered to local food partners for distribution.
Arvest will donate on your behalf if you:
- “Like” or "Share" a 1 Million Meals post on Arvest’s Facebook page.* Arvest will donate $1 on your behalf for every Facebook "like" or "share," resulting in five more meals toward the overall goal of one million meals.
- "Follow" Arvest on Pinterest. If you follow Arvest Bank on Pinterest,* then Arvest will donate $1, which equals five meals, on your behalf.
- "Retweet" our 1 Million Meals tweets from @ArvestBank* on designated promotion days – Sept. 19 and Oct. 10. For every retweet on those days, we’ll donate $1, or five meals, to your neighbors in need.
Links marked with * go to a third-party site not operated or endorsed by Arvest Bank, an FDIC-insured institution.